Come and work with us at Thenford. You will find our current vacancies below.
Horticulturist/ Skilled Gardener
Location: Thenford House, near Banbury,
Leave: 23 days plus bank holidays
Salary: Depending on experience and qualifications
Accommodation: Live -in considered
Created over the past 40 years, Thenford Gardens cover 75 acres and contain one of the largest private collections of hardy woody plants in the country.
We are looking for a qualified and experienced horticulturist to join our team responsible for cultivating and developing the arboretum and grounds surrounding the formal walled garden.
You will be involved in the day-to-day maintenance of the gardens with the aim of achieving high aesthetic and horticultural standards.
In addition, you will be part of the weekend duty rota for the glasshouse and nursery, which is shared between the team.
To assist with
– planting and the aftercare on the estate.
– watering, including a weekend duty rota for glasshouses, nursery and pot displays.
– grass cutting on the estate (including formal garden areas).
– all garden and woodland maintenance work on the estate in conjunction with contractors when appropriate
– routine fencing/hedging and path maintenance in conjunction with contractors if appropriate
– maintenance work on the lakes, ponds, pools and other water features in conjunction with contractors when appropriate
– the application of herbicides/pesticides or biological agents as required.
– the care of the parrot collection or where estate livestock is being moved or may have escaped.
– any events and open days e.g. parking, ticketing, marquee or seating set-up (where appropriate)
To take good care of all estate equipment and resources and to ensure that these are left tidy, clean and secure when not in use.
To follow all company Health & Safety requirements and safe working practices in the course of performing duties.
To ensure that you carry out all tasks only if appropriately qualified or experienced to do so, and to speak to the Head Gardener in case of any doubt.
– Practical horticultural experience working with trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants.
– Experience using horticultural machinery.
– Ability to work efficiently on an independent basis as well as harmoniously within a wider team.
– A confident and positive attitude and the ability to engage with a diverse range of colleagues and visitors.
– Ability and desire to work outdoors in all weathers and to engage in physical work.
– Relevant qualification/s (RHS level 2, NCH)
-Spraying Certificates, NPTC PA1 & PA6
– Chainsaw Qualification NPTC 201 (CS30)
– UK/EU Driving Licence
Please apply in writing to:
The Head Gardener, Thenford House
Nr Banbury, OX17 2BX
email: [email protected]